I don’t know about you but every time the warmer months roll over I find myself craving minty treats. Maybe is because everything is so hot that the cooling factor of the mint is a relieve or maybe is that the chocolate + mint combo is so good that once I eat it once I crave it more and more. So I thought about making a mint chocolate cake and WOW this is good.
I experimented a bit in the kitchen adding the mint extract to the cake, adding it to the frosting and adding it to both. I also tried with mint cake and chocolate frosting and the other way around. And at least in my humble opinion, the clear winner is making a chocolate cake, whipping up a mint frosting and decorating everything with chocolate chips. the frosting + chocolate chips combo is so good I thought about eating it with a spoon by itself more than once.
To make the cake extra chocolaty I used cocoa powder, while most chocolate cakes also call for chocolate I skipped the step and added more cocoa powder and the flavor and texture was just the same but with a full step less.
For the frosting, I used butter, powdered sugar, mint extract and a drop of green food coloring. You could completely skip the food coloring if you don’t have it on hand but the result is so beautiful when you add it that I highly advise using it! When whipping it up start with a teeny tiny drop, food coloring can be super strong at times and a little bit can go a long way.
Another great thing about this cake? It’s the perfect moist cake to serve with a big spoon of ice cream (mint chocolate flavor maybe?).
Mint Chocolate Cake Recipe
½ Cup sugar
1 ½ Cups flour
½ Cup water
1 Tsp baking powder
½ Cup Cocoa powder
1 Tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
½ Cup Butter
2 Cups powdered sugar
1 Tsp mint extract
1 Drop food coloring (green)
½ Cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and use a mixer to mix them well until everything is incorporated and there are no lumps left.
- Grease a cake pan and pour the batter into it.
- Take to the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, whip up the frosting: add the butter to a bowl and mix for 3 minutes or until fluffy. Incorporate the powdered sugar and the mint extract and continue mixing until light and airy.
- Add the food coloring and mix until everything is light green (around 1 minute).
- Once the cake is done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the cake pan and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled down decorate it with frosting and top it with the chocolate chips.
Serve and enjoy.